Saturday, February 15, 2014

Best Valentine Date EVER!

OK, so I don't (unfortunately) have much experience with being treated as special and beloved on this lovey-dovey day. Not that I shouldn't; oh I should! I so deserve it!
 But let's face it, circumstances just haven't worked out that way.
 But wait! Wait! Don't go whispering "Bitter, bitter, bitter," under your breath.

Because this year was different .  
My Valentine date THIS year knows my heart inside out; all of it's subtle twists and quirks and secret longings. 
My date this year wanted to make me happy and make sure that I felt cherished and special and seen and understood. My date this year is willing to go the distance for me. 
Which is why the love is deep.

So here's how it went! It was fun!  It was exciting!
Thursday night one of my favorite bands, Micky and the Motorcars (http://www.mickyandthemotorcars.com) were playing at one of my favorite venues, the Saxon Pub (http://thesaxonpub.com) in Austin at 10pm. I had to work in San Antonio until 8pm, but my date said, "Hey, wear your best Saxon duds to work and bring your camera, we'll make a mad dash!" 
So I wore a skirt to work and charged my camera under my desk, feeling pretty happy and fluttery. 

Made the dash to Austin and arrived with just enough time to check in at the Austin Motel (www.austinmotel.com)
Whoohoo!! Another long-time favorite of mine. I love that place for being cool and quirky and "so close and yet so far out."

Yeah and I have one of their T-Shirts that says "It's Not What You Think".  Because many Austin-ites call it "The cock and balls motel." They have a nice pool too. And are located in the very heart of the SoCo neighborhood, which happens to be located at the very heart of MY heart. 
Made a quick drop of stuff in the cool, funky motel room and headed off to the Saxon. Arrived at 10pm, just in time. 
My date encouraged me to sit right up front and center so I could shoot photos, because that is one of my true, true loves and makes me happy. It's something I do just for me. Add in some red wine, and well, it's difficult for me to wipe the grin off my face.
It was so so fun!! MMC were phenomenal, as always, and my little 50mm prime lens let me take some fun shots. 

After the show my date was cool with hanging around talking with folks. New friends were made.
A perfect evening. Right down to picking up greasy Whataburgers on the way back to the room!
OK and I won't talk about what went on in the room after lights out... :)
Next morning- a stroll across the street to Jo's Coffee.
Just to caffeinate up for a run on my favorite trail in Zilker Park. It was a beautiful morning for a run, and really, what better way to celebrate a holiday with a heart theme than to get yours pumping? I loved feeling like I was part of this community of runners, and the swans were out !
After running, there was time to shower before checking out of the room, and then it was time for brunch next door at The Snack Bar, strawberry mimosas, coffee and lush mac and cheese.
Because the way to any runner's heart is through carb loading, right?
The rest of the afternoon my date indulged me by letting me poke around in any and all weird shops. I chose the Habitat for Humanity Restore and Ikea. And although I was free to purchase anything that struck my fancy, I didn't feel like it, I was just looking for fun. And my date didn't grumble about driving all the way to Round Rock to Ikea for nothing, so more kudos and love. 
Back in Austin for a margarita and tacos at Gueros and to catch the most lovely sunset!
Do you notice the heart shape in the branches? A Valentine straight from Austin to me!

Soooo you may have gathered by now that my special date was ME, right?
I made sure I had a really good time and that I was happy. Because I could have had a lousy, pouty day, licking my wounds from my recent broken heart and  resenting all those women who are showered with roses and diamonds and kisses. 
But what fun would that be?

Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to have a special someone to share all this with, there's nothing I'd love more. I'm just sayin'... You don't have to wait for love to find you to have a romantic date. You can give that to yourself.
Being alone can be FABULOUS,
if you let it. You can be there for yourself in a way that few others can. And until you learn to do just that, it's probably not quite time to let someone else do it for you.
So hold your head up, hold your own hand and take in all the love that does exist in this world for you!
I guarantee you are gonna love it!
Happy Valentine's Day! And big love to you.



2 comments:

oils mentor Amy said...

Kudos to U for your Selfie Valentine date!

L. Howard said...

Been awhile since I've been able to visit your blog. This sounds like it was an incredibly beautiful day! So happy you were able to love yourself for all you're worth and celebrate it!