Sunday, March 2, 2014

Got Sisu?


Today is Texas Independence Day, and while I wasn't lucky enough to grow up in Texas and haven't yet learned all the rich history of this beautiful state, I feel such a deep love and appreciation for Texas and it's people that I've been celebrating all morning. I celebrated by running in the misty rain, and then drinking coffee on my porch, listening to the rain on the old tin roof along with a fine, fine playlist of Texas music. A beautiful harmony.

I have always tried to explain to people who don't get it, why Texas is so special. 
And more and more, I realize it's the people.  I suspect it has to do with being raised with Texas pride. When you have deep, strong, proud roots, your heart grows strong and big, like the 500 year old live oak next to my cottage. A proud heart can afford to be open and loving, it can embrace others and dare to dream and fly and create. 

My experience moving to Texas, and believe me,"I got here as soon as I could!" has been that Texans meet me with a open, loving stance.  I have appreciated every interaction with every Texan I've met.  And I've been a close observer, a field researcher, shall we say, watching and pondering why Texans are so.... different. So great. 
And so far I think Texas pride is a big part of the answer. I will keep studying and learn more!

The closest thing I have in my own experience to Texas pride is the way I feel  about my Finnish heritage. Finns pride themselves on their sisu- a quality of tenaciousness, a gritty determination to power on through, regardless of obstacle. Sisu can be grim and joyless or it can be spirited and sprightly.
 I choose to live it in the latter way, which calls for a trust in the universe, in the world, as well as in one's own ability to weather the storm.  It doesn't presume that you can't be hurt, only that you are strong enough to handle whatever comes your way.

I think the following quote, by Jeff Brown, is the best description of my personal interpretation of SISU:

So I will keep watchin' and studying all you amazing Texans. I'll keep on wearing my heart on my sleeve and feeling all my feelings, even when "the odds are stacked against me." I'll keep my "heart open on the darkest of days." 
And maybe, in time, it will grow and stretch and absorb a little Texas pride and have roots as deep as my old live oak. That's what I'm envisioning.
Happy Birthday Texas!! 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love this. I've spent only moments of my life in Texas and it didn't take my breath away the way it does yours, but this is how I feel about Santa Cruz without ever having been there. I already know my first visit will feel like a long awaited return. Like true love and true beauty, you recognize home when you see it.